Title and statement of responsibility area
Quartz Crystals Mines Ltd. Fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1950-1971 ; predominant 1956-1964 (Creation)
- Quartz Crystals Mines Ltd.
Physical description area
73cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The quartz mine was located on lot eight in the ninth concession of Lansdowne (near Black Rapids on Red Horse Lake).
The first mine was dug by Arza Sherman in 1897, who mined quartz and attempted to sell it in the United States. The mine was essentially a hole in the ground with wooden ladders to descend. Sherman sold the property to John Moorehead in 1901.
In 1938, Loris McElroy picked up samples from the site, showed them to a chance acquaintance named George Moroughan, who in turn showed them to Jack Steele, the owner of a mica mine near Sydenham.
In July 1942, the three men signed an agreement to create the Red Horse Lake Mining Syndicate, dividing profits from the mine equally. They also mined quartz, because of its utility in technologies such as radio frequency control and bomb sights (and worth a reported $3000 per ton due to the war effort).
In 1943, the Red Horse Lake Mining Syndicate gave way to the Rare Minerals Prospecting Syndicate which conducted considerable exploration, before giving way in turn to Quartz-Crystals Mining Corporation of Canada Limited. Both the syndicates and the Mining Corporation sold quartz to the Canadian government. The Mining Corporation operated the mine until it went bankrupt in 1950.
In 1951, a new company funded by the federal government, Quartz Crystals Mines Limited, mined the quartz crystals, employing six to seven men until the government announced in 1954 that stockpiles were sufficient and closed the mine.
This material was donated by Pat McConnell from the estate of Leonard McConnell of Black Rapids. McConnell's relationship with the mine and company is not known.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of administrative records, financial records, and correspondence pertaining to the operation of the quartz mine near Lyndhurst, Ontario. Fonds is composed of the following series:
- Administrative Records and Data
- Financial Records
- Business Correspondence
Immediate source of acquisition
Accession Number: 998-35
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box and folder list available. Click on image above to view.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata