Title and statement of responsibility area
Art Shaw Fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
18 cm textual and graphic materal
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Donated by Art Shaw
Scope and content
Fonds consists of:
Books:in General Research section -- "Early Photography in Canada" by Ralph Greenhill, 1965. -- "Dating Old Photographs" published by Family Chronicle, 2000. -- "Dating Old Photographs" by Robert Pols, 1992. -- book "Historic Kingston" by Mika Publishing 1973 reprinting the Kingston Historical Society bulletins # 1 to 10, 1952 to 1962, including articles by Gerald Stevens on Mallorytown Glass Works and Toniata Indian Village.
Books in shelf box G0211: "Methodist Hymn and Tune Book", 1894, inscribed "Addie S McMachen / Elgin, Ont. / January 9th 1906". -- Wesley's Hymns and new Supplement with Tunes", 1877. -- "Council of District of Johnstown and U.C. of Leeds and Grenville 1842-1942" by William Jelly inscribed "Presented to Edwin Chant, Deputy reeve, Township of Bastard & Burgess S, by The United Counties of Leeds & Grenville,. January 1964". -- pamphlet "A Brief History of St. Paul's Church, Delta" 1934, by St. Paul's Woman's Auxiliary. -- pamphlet "Historic Kingston and Vicinity" by Mabel Jenkins, 1938 (2 copies). -- bulletin of the Kingston Historical Society "Historic Kingston" November 1954, includes an article by gerald Stevens on Mallory town Glass Works.
File 2016-020-A -- Agendas and minutes and correspondence (incomplete collection) of Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee for Rear of Leeds & Lansdowne. Includes samples of the forms used when the archives was first begun
File 2016-020-B -- Agendas and minutes (incomplete collection) of Leeds & 1000 Islands Municipal Heritage Committee.
File 2016-020-C – Incomplete collection of correspondence to and from the LTI MHC and Art Shaw
File 2016-020-D – Information package from an archival workshop at Queen’s University attended by Art Shaw, May 4-8, 1994 with subsequent correspondence regarding a tour of local archival holdings in Lyndhurst, Delta and Escott with Johanna Pelletier from Archives Association of Ontario, Paul Fritz, Art Shaw and Lynn Hughes. -- Information package from the “First Ontario Folklore Conference” at Black Creek Pioneer Village, attended by Art Shaw March 6-8, 1987, includes a booklet “Peterborough Folklore & Folklife Vol.1”. – agenda for the founding meeting of the “Leeds & Grenville Heritage Network”, 9 May 2005
File 2016-020-E – Misc. photos
– reproduction photo of Mary (Cook) Davis circa 1900 posed with photos, swords and guns, possible memorial to her father Capt. Richard Cook. – 2 modern photos taken at Dulcemaine Cemetery with descendants of people buried there, including Cecil Stevens, Beatrice McCready (Webster), Bessie Montgomery, Evangeline Montgomery (“Danny” Chisamore), Marjorie Heaslip, Frances McCready (Bryan), Bruce McCready, Maxine Kennedy, Mildred Hall, Myrtle Hall, Laverna Montgomery and Ken Hogan. – Photo reproduction and negative of Dulcemaine School class of 1908 with list of names; Front Row Right to left Gerald Flood, Cecil Fair, Benedick Fodey, Rob Watson, Vincent Flood, Adrain Snider, Wilfred Fodey, Wesley Ferguson, Herb Leacock and his dog Deck, Walter Haskins, Clifford Griffin, Mark Fodey. 1st Row standing; Elizabeth Ferguson, Caroline McCready, Marjorie Leacock, Lizzie Patience, Beulah Haskins, Mildred Fair, Myrtle Haskins, Laura Griffin, Peachie Ferguson, Erma Haskins. Back Row; Pearl Griffin, Evelyn Earl, Patrick O’Grady, Eula Patience, teacher Mary Cochran (later Mrs. Joe Slack), Donald Patience, Gus Henderson, Isabel Spicer, Justin Flood, Bessie Sliter. – photo reproduction with negative of Dulcemaine School and students including Annie Patience, Keitha Cook, Myrtle Haskins, Celia Fodey, Bertha Patience, Laurel Covey, Lizzie Ferguson, McCready girl, Lizzie Patience, Sam Horton, Philip Patience, Marjorie Leacock, Bertha Cook, Ziba Slack, Gordon or Milton Burns. – reproduction CDV photo of Thomas Tye and his first wife Patience Willis and sons John, Joe and Frank. – 2 bumper stickers for Friends of Lyndhurst Bridge. – 4 stereo viewer cards by Underwood & Underwood showing scenes from 1900 in the 1000 Islands, including Little Round Island, State Island (with sailing skiff), pickerel fishing in a skiff in Lily Bay, and the steamer “Captain Visger” on her 50 mile ramble. . – reproduction photo dated 1960 showing Lyndhurst Boy Scouts in marching formation on Jonas St, with leader Joe Chapman, and Harold Webster’s stores in the background. -- shoulder patch, and green and black shoulder ribbons, from 1st Lyndhurst Boy Scouts 1961.(Art Shaw's) -- fabric crest from 1st Lyndhurst Scout & Cub Camp 1984 (Ben Shaw's). -- purple award ribbon from Boy Scouts (Ben Shaw's). -- fabric embroidered crests for graduates of courses at YMCA Kingston, including Skin Diving, Scuba Diving, and Senior Life Saving 1971-72. -- class photo from Ont. Dept. of Highways Draftsman Group 1 class from 1970, including Art Shaw. -- peom by a DHO engineer following a conflict with the Catholic Priest in the town of Douglas near Renfrew. -- ticket from Watkins Glen SCCA race 1972. -- embroidered crest from Watkins Glen Grand Prix Race Circuit 1972. -- name badge from Antique and Classic car Club of Canada 1972
File 2016-020-F (separate shelf box) – Records of the woodworking business conducted by Art Shaw beginning in 1975. – multiple copies of flyers advertising a woodworking show “Four Workers in Wood” including Art Shaw, 1982. –
- File 2016-020-G Long Point School incidentals (Housed with Long Point School Fonds)
- -- Single fold mimeographed program for the Halloween Concert at Long Point School 1955.
– manuscript program for the Christmas concert at Long Point School 1957.
– mimeographed invitation to the Annual Picnic of Long Point School at Kendrick’s Beach, undated.
- 65 colour photos of progress of the restoration of Long Point School between 2002 and 2007
File 2016-020-H Minnie Mulvenna photo album
A small album of 59 snapshots that was owned by Minnie McConnell of Lyndhurst wife of T J McConnell, formerly Minnie Mulvenna of Charleston. Only a few are identified. 3 snaps of Minnie and TJ, who are recognizable in other pix throughout the album including one of an early brass Model T Ford, some of a WW1 soldier, probably Leonard McConnell who was killed in action Nov 1, 1917, others of a group at Cedar Park Inn in Charleston including Minnie and TJ, and Florence and Johnson Moorhead, one labeled George Lee, some of Leonard McConnell (nephew of previous soldier by the same name), one of Charleston Lake from the village with buildings in foreground
File 2016-020-I Assorted papers
2 copies of flyer “Lyndhurst Centennial 1867-1967”, one containing the program for the unveiling of a historical plaque about the founding of Lyndhurst, May22, 1967. – Folder “Seeley’s Bay and District Centennial Celebrations” July 20-23, 1967. – Pittsburgh Township Historical Society newsletter Fall 1979, includes story "My Early Years" by James Gates. -- 2 copies of folder “1972 Maple Syrup Festival at delta” with maps of participating sugar bushes, donated by Confederated Foods of Canada Ltd. – 50th anniversary folder from A L Campbell & Son funeral Home, Elgin, 1953, with photos of A L Campbell and M A Campbell. -- Thank You cards in response to sympathy cards for Gordon Jones and Gertrude Warren. – Illustrated book for the 25th Anniversary Reunion at Rideau District High School in Elgin, 1985. -- souvenir pin from RDHS Reunion 1985 – Illustrated book “Garnet & Gold” for the Seeley’s Bay School reunion 1989. – advertising folder for LeBlancq Woodworking Solutions, Lansdowne , about 2000. – colour flyer advertising the sale by auction of the McCutcheon House at Seeley’s Bay. – genealogical notes by Betty Shaw regarding the Standen and Carr families, done for Mabel (Carr) Standen -- prints of documents from Archives Canada microfilm C 2810, sent by Neil Patterson, regarding purchase by Isaac Soper and Nathan Hicock of lands formerly granted to Wallis Sunderlin. Neil believed that the purchase included machinery from the Sunderlin iron works. If so, it was limited to mining equipment rather than smelting or forging. – flyers advertising Turkey Fair in 2001 and 2002, Old River Road Heritage Byway, and Old River Road Tree Identification Guide. – notes by Dan Roantree and Keith Sly on buildings in Seeley’s Bay including Coleman’s Hotel, A J Sly’s store, and George Cheetham’s blacksmith shop, and other village lots– 2 bank documents naming C B Tallman of Lyndhurst, copied from sale items on E-bay. -- invitation and order of service for the wedding of Rebecca Macht and Colin Gorman Jr. 1978. -- invitation and order of service for the wedding of Gwenn Gorman and Jay Talbott, 1978. -- copy of "Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms". -- book "The Charter of Rights and Freedoms; a Guide for Canadians" 1982. -- book "The Canadian Constitution 1981". -- book "The Canadian Constitution 1981 Highlights". -- book "Canada Department of Agriculture", its history, organization, and work, 1933. -- book "Sugar Bush Management for Maple Syrup Producers" Min of Natural Resources 1980. -- book "Farm Weeds" Dept of Agriculture, 1909. -- 6 unused copies of the dust jacket for the book "Rear of Leeds & Lansdowne 1796-1996" by Glenn Lockwood. (encapsulated). -- book of prints for framing of photographs of Ontario, including the Harvey Mill in Lyndhurst (encapsulated)
File 2016-020-J Long Point School restoration photos.
About 100 colour photos of work in progress during the restoration of Long Point School by Randy and Russell Moorhead and Wayne Farley between 2002 and 2007. Most are dated on the back but not described. These are filed with Long Point School Fonds
Rideau Canal navigation charts Smiths Falls to Kingston, 1984 printing. -- Book "Buckskin to Broadloom", a collection of the historical articles published in the Kingston Whig Standard during 1973 Tercentennial.