Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Samuel McAlonan, (1807 – after 1891) born in Ireland, immigrated to Canada. By 1866 he was settled in Yonge Township and married to ? Angus.
The children of Samuel McAlonan and ---- Angus were:
- Joseph McAlonan (31 Aug. 1866 – 24 Nov. 1935) born Yonge Twp. He was living with the Earl family near Seeley’s Bay in 1891. He subsequently went to the Department of Agriculture school to learn the cheesemaking trade. After graduating in 1911, he worked in Seeley’s Bay and eventually bought the Gilt Edge Cheese Factory on Main Street, and the large house adjacent at the intersection of Haskins Point Rd. He married Ellen Moroughan (12 Aug 1879 – 7 Dec 1957). Joseph was struck and killed by a car in 1935 while crossing the street in front of the cheese factory.
- Probably other siblings unknown at this time.
The children of Joseph McAlonan and Ellen Moroughan were:
- Vera Irene (31 May 1898 – 1981) trained as a nurse in Menominee, Michigan, married Stewart McConnell (1899 – 1953) from Montreal, where she lived much of her life. No issue. She returned to the family home before she died.
- Mildred Kathelene (18 July 1900 – 19--) married Robert Coleman who owned Coleman’s Hotel in Seeley’s Bay. They had one son: Jack Coleman.
- Joseph Edmond (3 July 1906 – 19--) married Violet Herrington, no issue. He lived in his father’s house in Seeley’s Bay all his life.
- Harold Bernard (28 Aug. 1908 – 19--) married Hazel Martin, daughter of Thomas and Emma Martin who lived on Big Hill Rd. He played hockey on the championship teams in 1930, 1931, and 1932. He followed his father in the cheesemaking trade, and carried on the business after his father was killed, living in the family home.
- Marjory Ellen (27 May 1911 – 1970?) never married. Worked in Kingston, returned to the family home before she died.
The only child of Bernard McAlonan and Hazel Martin was:
Eldon McAlonan (28 July 1928 – 13 Sept 2002) married Shirley Montgomery (born in Winchester, living in Gananoque when married). No issue.