Title and statement of responsibility area
LTI Historical Society Backlog
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
41 cm textual and graphic material, 12 oversize items encapsulated in plan files, 1 woolen blanket
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Items come from many separate sources and were given to the Lansdowne Historical Society over the years. They were brought to the new archives at various times and deposited without being given Accession numbers, which resulted in not being catalogued until shelf space became limited, at which point (2017) they were catalogued together as a single accession numbered retroactively.
Scope and content
Collection consists of;
Items stored in Map Cabinet 2, Drawer 3:
- Patriotic Canadian wreath or coat of arms printed on silk and embroidered “LANSDOWNE” in the center. (encapsulated )
– 11 copies of Lansdowne Reporter. (encapsulated Map Cab. 2, Drwr. 3) Including 5 Dec 1947 (Vol 1,#1, 2 copies), 13 Feb 1948, 30 April 1948, 7 May 1948, 18 June 1948, 13 Aug 1948, 16 Sept 1949, 20 October 1950, 17 Nov 1950, 30 Mar 1951.
– 1914 callendar advertising W G & L D Johnston's store, Lansdowne (encapsulated)
– deed from John McEwan to Thomas Darling L24 C1, 1847 (encapsulated).
-- (previously framed) tribute to men from Union area who served in WW1, with photos of H Foley, R Holland, T Mains, J Keir, and D Wallace.
Items stored in flat box # E0125
-- parchment manuscript grant with seal, of Clergy Lot 23 Con 5 Lansdowne to Robert Webster, 1853 (encapsulated).
– Marriage cartificate of David R Latimer and Mary Ann Topping 1860.
-- Certificate for 100 acres to J D W Darling for service in the Fenian Raid, dated 1905.
-- 16" x 20" house portrait with 3 people, unpainted L-shaped house with veranda and gingerbread, inscribed "Albert Moore farm (daughter-Gertie Moore-later a neighbour of Mrs W H Foley, Lansdowne".
-- 18" x 23.5" photo enlargements including Main St Lansdowne, areal view of Lansdowne 1920, a house portrait with people and horses, and a stone Merchants Bank building with a bicycle shop adjacent.
-- a PMT enlargement of Lansdowne village from the south.
Items in various remote locations
-- 5 CDRs of photos and documents, inventory of Darlingside collection, and Lansdowne Tweedsmuir book, etc.(in CD Box G0047)
– 2 fabric shoulder patch crests with logo of Township of Front of Leeds and Lansdowne. – Auditors' Report for Front of leeds & Landsowne, 1893 (stored with FoLL Fonds, Cabinet 7)
-- Artifact: a woolen blanket, typical of small woolen mills, carried by Sam Montgomery from Dulcemaine during WW1
Professional photo of King George and Queen Elizabeth taken by Thompson Photo Specialty Co in 1939 at Gananoque Junction.
-- 21 unidentified studio cards and CDVs from a period photo album (album discarded, no notations). Photographers are from Gananoque, Athens, Brockville, Carson City Nevada, Virginia Nevada, Plainesville Ohio, and San Francisco. Only 2 have inscriptions; “Joseffe Cook” and “Eliza Randall & Mary Randall”. Also from the same album an invitation to the wedding of Minnie Connor and Samuel Warren at Jellyby
– Photo of a fashion show at Lansdowne Public School, 1970s, including Bertha Modler, Mrs Robert Tamblyn, Mrs Fimi Hambly, Grace Ralph, Marjorie Guild and others.
–– studio half card inscribed on back “Ida May Thrall (Mrs Charles Albert Richards) July 16, 1866 August 23, 1956”
– studio photo of a man inscribed Hason Howard Thrall March 25, 1842 – April 5, 1926.
– studio photo of a couple inscribed Thrall, Hason Howard and Harriet Amelia Morey taken 1865.
– snapshot of Heaslip’s General Store,Escott , before Hwy 2 was paved.
– snapshot of reproduction Malloytown Glass pitcher by Jamie Sherman and other relics of the glass works.
– copies of 2 photos of Audrey, Eric, and Oliver Hill, with Herald Angels Church in the background.
– photo Christmas card of young man inscribed au verso “Calvin Steacy”.
– book of 12 souvenir photos of 1000 Islands titled “Valentine’s Snapshots”.
– two 35mm negatives of photo of Lansdowne Station and a horse and wagon advertising “J Baile – Baker – Lansdowne”.
- photo of a large group, possibly church group, with names Mrs. Harold Warren, Mrs. Gordon Landon, Miss Bertha Vanorman, Mrs. Everetts, Mrs. Sandy McDonald, Mr. S C E Dixon, Mr. Sandy McDonald, Mr. Stanley McDonald, Mr. Milton Burns, Mrs. Dixon, Mrs. Quinn, Harold Warren, Mr. Caiger, Lloyd Burns, Mr. Smalley (minister), Mr. Senn, Alma Robinson, Mrs. Caiger, Roxie McCrady, Mrs. Shields, Jack Donevan, Daisy Donevan, Mrs. Smalley, Jim Robinson, Mrs. Stanley McDonald, Bob Burns, Mr. Everetts.
– large group of women and one man, members of Lansdowne United Church accompanied by a note listing Mrs. Ross Smith, Mrs. Tom Webster, Margarite Grier, Lettie Mitchell, Arthur West, Mrs. West, Mrs. Firman Cross, Alma Allen, Kate McMunn, Mrs. Aldrich, Betty Lou Mackie, Peggy Tedford, Jean Foley, Ilene McReady, Cleora McConnell, Betty Smith, Bessie Johnson.
– group photo identified as United Church group called Alpha Class, no names.
-- snapshot of Elsie Grier with her quilts, 1978.
-- tinted postcard showing tourist home "Riverview" owned by Wallace Shipman, Ivy Lee.
-- CDV of 2 ladies in hats, inscribed "Mrs. Alley Heart, formerly Anna Steacy & Mrs. George Steacy formerly Linnie Cross".
– 8 photos on card by F H Mallory photographer, Mallorytown. 4 are in long horizontal format showing a family around a cottage on an island, 4 in 3 ¾ x 4 ¾ format showing some of the same family members fishing on a tiny rocky island. There is a manuscript note saying ”Bonnie View Island found in the wall in cottage. Some may be woman who worked in bank – Mrs. Leo Read”
“The New Lute of Zion” hymn book music for the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1856 –
“Forty Lessons in Sight Reading” music text book undated inscribed “SS # 16 Leeds & Lansdowne”
“The New Canadian Song Series, Book III” music text book 1933 inscribed Wilma Earl & Myrla McDonald.
“The Singing Period, Book III” music text book undated, inscribed “Wilma Earl, Lansdowne Ontario”
“Youthful Voices, Book Two” music text book 1949, inscribed Janice Tamblyn.
Rural mail Directory for Brockville & Surrounding District, June 1929. -- Lansdowne Dairy Assoc. Ledger 1937-38. – Prize list and program for the Leeds County Plowing Match Sept 17, 1983, hosted by Bruce Foley, RR#2 Lansdowne. – “History of Springfield House” by Mary Joan Barrett, 1993. – Lansdowne Continuation School souvenir book for 2011 Reunion
2012-036-C Photo Reproductions
50 negatives taken by Art Shaw of original photos in the collection of Lansdowne Historical Society, and prints from 34 of the negatives including portrait of Henry and Lucy Andress, saw mill and surrounding buildings at Escott, Lester Senecal with guitar, threshing crews with steam engines, Rockport waterfront with St Brendan’s Church, Larue House, ice jam at Larue Mills, bridge at Larue Mills, poster for the Elva Boat Line of W E Andress, 1953 class at Long Point School, several unidentified buildings and groups. – a group of 5x7 reprints including 4 of the previous group, plus a portrait inscribed Daniel Birtch, a composite photo of Samuel & Almira Birtch and 6 children, a group photo of Samuel Birtch, John Birtch, Almira Ferguson, Miss Grace Ferguson and baby Stanley, photo of a large class in front of a brick school. – large group photo in an open pavilion inscribed “Andress”. – Hollingsworth family in front of a brick house, inscribed Beatrice Hollingsworth, Lila, John, Lucy, Jim, Nettie, Ed, Hattie – photo of “Lucy Hollingsworth (grandmother) Lila, Beatrice, James, Lucy”. – photo of Lucy Hollingsworth, inscribed “Later married to (2nd) McBride in Kingston. – composite photo, inscribed “back row James Grier, front row Fred Lucy Hollingsworth. – Donovan group photo inscribed “Bridget Kennedy, Pat Donovan, Helen (Boyle), Mary (Leeder), John, Annie (Lynch), Tom, Jim, Maggie (Patience), Willie”. – photo “Tom Donovan, Rose Leeder” – Photo of children “Maggie, Jim, Tom Donovan” – photo “Homer Kelsey & wife Priscilla Elizabeth Berry”. – photo enlargement of Canada Post stamp commemorating “Henry Kelsey, first explorer on the plains” recent reprint of house inscribed “DeWitt Williams house near Rockport”. – reprinted photo of elderly man inscribed “Shipman”. – reprinted photo of a crew of men in front of a steam traction engine, inscribed “Summers”. – reprint photo of men cutting trees, inscribed” Ben Ferguson, Mr Summers, Mr Franklin. – reprint photo of men sawing logs with a steam powered sawmill, includes Mr. Summers and Billy Summers. – reprint of CDV inscribed “Mrs Summers, Edna Reid’s grandmother” – reprint photo of CDV inscribed “Thomson”. – reprint photo of a man driving a horse and buckboard inscribed “Alex Thomson”. – reprint photos of a stone house and barn titled “Built by James Thomson about 1857. Lot 17, Concession 2” – family group photo in front of the old house at Darlingside, probably the Wallace family. – 2 photos of Darlingside house from the river. – 9 prints from a computer of an unidentified ceremony including group photo with banners saying “Junior Clubs”, both American and Canadian flags and a marcher with a drum, and scenes of planting trees. – computer enlargement of a skiff race on the St. Lawrence River 1908 by Ted Hewitt. – 4 photos from the Landon family, including Laura Landon, Wellington Landon and wife Pearl Gray, parlour interio from the Landon homestead with Wellington & Pearl Landon, Mrs. Lawyer (cousin of Laura landon). -- postcard of Half Moon Bay, probably 1970s (2 copies). -- repro photo of a large group, inscribed "Thomson Family on the occassion of the 100th birthday of Agnes Wood Cunningham (center) in 1890". Location the brick house on Hwy 32 known as Green Acres." -- photo inscribed "Interior of a General Store (in Brockville?) Photo from Hazel Steacy" -- 4 photos from the Gray family of Wilstead, including a group of 10 inscribed "Minnie Gray m John Kilduff, Maggie m Asahel Kyes, Fred m Edith Quinn, Ella nee Walker Gray, Wallace m Lennie Loney, 'Jennie' Virginia m Rob Shields, Wilfred Gray, Hugh McDonald Gray, Russell Gray m Keitha Haynes, Pearl Gray m Wellington Landon", photo of "Locust Tourist Lodge", photo of Donald Gray, age 1, 1914. -- 4 photos computer printed on one page, showing the tourist Information office at Reynolds Road and the Scenic Highway, 1958. Attendants include Audrey Newell.
2012-036-D Local Business Billheads & ephemera
Large collection of billheads including W E Andress boat builders, Lansdowne Rural Telephone Co, Funnell’s B.A. Service, Albert Sly & Son funeral home, I B Alguire & Son, F W McConnell, C Ross Johnston, Newell’s garage, Lackie’s Mobile Feed Service, Gerald N Cranker Trucking, National Harness Co. (to JDW Darling), Albert B Henderson, E H Wills General Store, Phil’s Shell Service, John H Donevan & Son, A E Haffie & Son grocery, S C E Dixon, Sheppard’s Garage, Foley Electric, Lansdowne Creamery Co, Lansdowne Butter & Cheese Factory, B W Stringer & Son Bakers, John Baile baker, Mitchell Bros. Mooney & Phillips dry goods, H C Mulvaugh dry goods, Claude Jones lumber, Lorne F Steacy excavating, C W McCready, Alex McMullen, T Ernest Foster, King & Haig tinsmiths, E E Johnston hardware, Leslie Running, Stanley Running grocer, Dominion Regalia Co. Ltd. Toronto, John Matheson MP for Leeds Christmas card,
Tag from Lansdowne Fair exhibit Class K, Section 4, “Half dozen light tea biscuits” undated, -- Booklet “Rules and Regulations for the Governance of The Lansdowne Cemetery Co.” adopted March 6, 1909. –
2012-036-E Lansdowne Rural telephone Co
Book “Lansdowne Tel Celebrating 100 Year”, 2007 (2 copies)
Book “The Lansdowne Rural Telephone Company, 87 years of top quality service” 1994 (3 copies)
Lansdowne Rural Telephone Directory, July 1940. – one page of a larger typescript account of the LRTC
2012-036-F Lansdowne District Public School & Victoria School
Program from the Official Opening of LDPS, Feb 22, 1963. – Booklet on the history of Lansdowne by students of Lansdowne District Public School in 1972-73. – leaf from an unknown book showing sample drawing of a typical rural school and lot. – Booklet on the history of Lansdowne village by students of LDPS 1972-73. – unidentified class photo 1963. – Graduation Program forVictoria School 1955, naming graduates Cheryl Covey, Gail McNeil, John Cross, Ronnie Wyburn, Paul Allore, Wallis Delyea, Christopher Nash, Terry Sword, Wayne Bilow. -- photo of Victoria School shortly after it closed.
– Indenture or sale of land by Robert Allen to Hubert Merrill for Lansdowne Village lot 11, 1894. – Independent Order of Forresters Endowment Certificate to Archibald Greer, 1889. – Regalia ribbon with braided tassles from IOOF Lodge #270, Lansdowne. -- Program from the Official Opening of Lansdowne Community Building May 30, 1980 with a faded Polaroid photo of construction dated 1979. – card to introduce Jimmie Auld as Conservative candidate Sep 1954. – gold on black memorial card for Elizabeth Nicholson 1811-1888. – marriage certificate for John Hollingsworth and Mary Ann Lawrence, Escott, 1885. – invitation to wedding of Annie May Herbison to Delmer C Hunt, 1901 at Rockfield. – invitations to weddings of Elizabeth Mary Caddick to Edward Horace Smith, 1946, Kingston. Sara Gray to Chas Ferguson 1898, Ethel Ferguson to Cecil Whiteman, 1951, Beatrice Ada Hayes to John Gray Ferguson, 1926, Annie Horton to Dr. W Lorne Yule, 1911, Jessie Laurine McBroom to Charles Heaslip 1926, Jean Araguaya Thompson to Ernest J Alexander 1942, Helen K Tennant to Edgar J Bissell 1913. – certificate from Canada Registration Board for Ida E Lappan, Lansdowne, 1918. – 2 page typescript about Dinny Noonan from Outlet. – manuscript story about Dinnie Noonan by Adeline Webster Kennedy. -- manuscript story about Dinny Noonan by Robert E Steacy, 2004. -- “Financial Statement of Escott Circuit for the year ending May 15, 1902”. – “Claire Thelma Crystal Chart” 1 page of superstitious predictions. -- program from the mortgage burning ceremony for St Lawrence District Medical Centre 1988. (2 copies) -- schedule of services at Half Moon Bay for 1993, with a history -- stock certificate for 33 shares in Crown Reserve Consolidated Mines Ltd, 1932, purchased by Ross McVeigh and endorsed to Emily McVeigh. -- manuscript deed from Robert McGowan to John Shields, 1881. -- book "Lansdowne Volunteer Fire Department" 25th Anniversary 1958-1983(2 copies). -- folder of promotional material for the Corporation of Front of Leeds and Lansdowne Township including financial statement for 1990. -- empty envelope with 3 cent Victoria stamp addressed to G F Deane, Lansdowne Ont. -- list of recipients of Ontario Volunteer Service Awards for 2006 with LTI people checked. -- transcript of an ad from Gananoque Reporter 1901 for Young's Automatic Washing Machine, Lansdowne Ont, with commentary.-- typescript Old Stone House (Home of Russell Gray). – typescript “Women of Leeds” including Gertrude Bowen Webster, Lillian Collier, Roxey McCrady, Dr Elizabeth Beatty, Mrs Joe Slack (Mary Cochrane), Elizabeth Barnes (Mother Barnes). – History of Tilley by Clelland Beames, – History of Tilley by Gloria Blanchard. – Program from the dedication of the Lansdowne Community Veterans Memorial at Thousand Islands Elementary School 2007. -- History of Lansdowne Volunteer Fire Dept. by Bill Boulton on their 50th year, 2008, three pages computer printout.
2012-036-08 Thousand Islands Bridge & St Lawrence River incidentals
“Official Souvenir and Program of the dedication of the Thousand Islands International Bridge”, 1938. – anonymous 6 page typescript history of the 1000 Islands Bridge – typescripts of 5 poems about the St Lawrence River and 1000 Islands by anonymous, Lillian Collier Gray, Rev Dwight Williams, Caleb Lyon, David B Steinman (engineer for 1000 Islands Bridge) , plus photocopies of each. – photocopies of a picture book entitled “Thousand Islands and St Lawrence River The Venice of America” copyright Santway Photo-Craft Co. Watertown, NY, 1931 – unused post card aerial view of Canadian Span of the international bridge, c 1960. – unused post card of Canadian Span of 1000 Islands Bridge with Goodyear blimp flying past. – souvenir program of the rededication of the 1000 Islands Bridge in 1968, accompanied by two aluminum commemorative coins. – program from Flag Raising Ceremony at 1000 Islands Bridge plaza 1967. -- 4 window transfers for a vehicle, souvenir of 1000 Islands Bridge. – typescripts on green paper from 1000 Islands Bridge Authrority by Mrs. Muriel M. Kennedy entitled “Legend of 1000 Islands Dressing”, “How the 1000 Islands Came into Being”, “1000 Islands Facts & Fables”, “1000 Islands Bridge Statistics”, & “The Story of the 1000 Islands Bridge”. – printed booklet “History, Facts & Statistics” by the 1000 Islands Bridge Authority, 2004. – 2 page typescript in green describing the sequence of islands and bridges that make up the Thousand Islands Bridge. – photocopy of a book “The natural and Human History of the Thousand islands” by John G Woods & Elizabeth M Holroyd, for St Lawrence Islands National Park. – guide book for Shoreline centennial Trail in Charleston Lake Park, including a history of recreation on Charleston Lake. --
Correspondence between the Municipal Heritage Committee, LTI Historical Soc, and LTI Township about proposed uses for Springfield House and Escott Town Hall, 2007.
2012-036-10 Hiscocks School incidentals
William Hiscocks Public School yearbook 2003-04. – photocopy of the program for Official Opening of Hiscocks School 1960
2012-036-11 Hiscock School debentures 1960
2012-036-12 Lansdowne District Public School debentures 1962
2012-036-13 Taylor School, Victoria School Addition debentures 1952
2012-036-14 School teacher's documents
3 sample forms for attendance and statistic in rural public schools. -- sample pupil's report card and caretakers contract printed for Front Of Leeds & Lansdowne Township School Area. -- Manuscript letter from Wm. Hiscock to teacher Madeline Latimer re student teacher Audrey Hill.-- manuscript letter 1954 from Louise Roberts to teacher Madeline Latimer. -- manuscript letter from Annie Jarrett at Barriefield to Mrs. Latimer re students Glen, Francis and Pat Sherwood. -- summary attendance report form for Selton School 1954. -- summary attendance statistics for Leeds County schools 1954 -- suggested timetable for rural schools with 8 grades,1955 -- manuscript account of a presentation by Robert & Russell Webster in the Presbyterian Church -- Teacher contracts between Mrs. Ruby Johnston and Trustees of SS#13 Escott, for 1960 and 1961. --
2012-036-15 Local incidents in French War 1756-63, War of 1812, & Patriot War
Typescripts or photocopies of typescript historical accounts about: War of 1756-63 and the Lost Channel, -- War of 1812 and events at Brockville, Ogdensburg, Gananoque, Sackets Harbor, Cranberry Creek, and Kingston , -- The Patriot War of 1837-39 –Capt. William “Bill” Johnston – typescript account of the Iroquios attack on the French 1688. – typescript story of French Mission at Oswegatchie 1749. – typescript paragraph about burning of the ship Sir Robert Peel.
2012-036-16 Point Comfort Resort
Article by Betty McDowell about Point Comfort from Brockville Recorder & Times TV section, undated. – Typescript research findings on Point Comfort by Lisa Thompson for FOLL Hist. Soc. 1993. – transcripts of phone conversations about Point Comfort with Dorothy Beaubiah, Mrs Olive Shipman,and Mrs. Dorothy Dingman, 1993. – copy of an article from Gan Reporter showing a stained glass window at Lansdowne United Church dedicated to Lena MacNeil, 1993. – clipping fromGan Reporter about cancelled plans for development of Point Comfort, 1993. – photocopies of land abstract for Point Comfort property Lot 11, Con 1 Lansdowne
2012-036-17 MacDonald Family, Gananoque
2012-036-18 Minutes and clippings of Recreation Center Committee, Lansdowne
2 notebooks recording meetings in 1973 & ’74 of a committee to plan and promote a new Recreation Center for Lansdowne, Yonge & Escott, with clippings from the newspapers.
2012-036-19 E E Johnston will, stocks, etc.
Copy of the magazine “Hardware and Metal” for 11 Nov. 1916, containing a three page article about E. E. Johnson and his store in Lansdowne, page 26 – 2 stock certificates belonging to E. Johnson, in the Tiger Tire & Rubber Co., 1920. – Insurance policy for Johnson’s store, 1902, endorsed by G. W. Bissell that he has no interest in the policy because the mortgage has been paid. – investment certificate in a new invention “The Hamilton Energy Conservator”, 1931. – stock certificate in “British, Canada North Exploration and Development Company Ltd.” 1924. – Probate of will of John Johnston, father of E. E. Johnston, 1890. -- registered probate of will of E. E. Johnston 1952
2012-036-20 Front of Leeds & Lansdowne School Area.
Undated Petition from ratepayers for the formation of a new school section from parts of sections 2, 10, 11 and 12. -- 3 pages “Summary of Attendance for Leeds 1” for Sept and October 1950. – Financial Statements for Front of Leeds & Lansdowne School Area 1952 and 1962. – manuscript “Rules of the School” unidentified. – clipping from unidentified paper, dated Lansdown Dec 22, 1873, describing a send off for teacher Mr. William Goodbody at “the brick school” in SS#8, with a note that it is the only mention ever found of the brick school. -- Sample timetable for a class of 4 grades (2-room school).
2012-036-21 Items from Selton School SS#8 & 15
Auditor report of School Section #8 for 1873. -- account of Samuel Robier/Bobier for painting, 1873. -- Trustees financial report for SS#8 & 15, 1941 -- Price list from John B. Snider Co. for school desks, 1899. -- 2 page manuscript letter of application for a teaching position from Robert Thompson, Athens, Nov 1899. -- Notice of assessed value of lands in School Sections 8 & 15 (Selton School) for 1918 & '19 in both Escott & Lansdowne. -- carbon copy of postal money order for $5.75 dated 1923. -- reciept from Haig & Burns store for damper pipe for Selton School 1944. -- blank statement from J.D.W. Darling. -- receipt from E.E. Johnston store for an axe for the school 1921. -- note to Mr Darling requesting chalk and a broom for school, dated "Thursday Morning". -- Manuscript memories of attending Selton School in 1938 by Joyce Stratford Fallon, 2003. --
2012-036-22 Items from Rapid Valley School SS#15
3 receipts from Junior Red Cross for funds collected at Rapid valley School. -- manuscript directions for keeping the General Register 1949-50. -- list of Schools in Ontario and amounts given to the Red Cross Crippled Chuldren Fund 1949
2012-036-23 Documents pertaining to Presbyterian Church at Lansdowne (Chalmers), Fairfax & Sand Bay, plus Caintown Methodist Church.
- Manuscript agreement by the trustees of Caintown Methodist Church to sell the church to Mary Ann Kane, to be removed from the site. 1887
- Manuscript note from the Minister of Eddleston, Scotland, certifying that John and Catherine McCormack and daughter Mabel “left this Parish in full Communion with the Church of Scotland”, 1874.
- Printed program for the opening of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Fairfax, Nov 1882.
- Ledger entry for $13 for “Horse hire to H Ross summer 1885” by Thos. Moorehead.
- Statement of account of the Presbyterian Church with J D W Darling 1887.
- Typescript letter to Rev Beckstead, signed by J D W Darling, informing him that steps are being taken to depose him as minister. 1923.
- Typescript letter to Rev. Beckstead, signed by J D W Darling, inquiring why certain church members were removed from the roll. 1924.
- History of Chalmers Presbyterian Church Lansdowne, printed for the 39th Anniversary Service, Oct 1913.
- Letter from County Registrar N O Kilpatrick to Rev. Beckstead regarding the registration of the church property in Lansdowne. 1924.
- As above, 1924
- Manuscript (shorthand?) notes on the registry records of Fairfax church.
- As above regarding Presbyterian Manse, Lansdowne.
- Typescript letter from Wall St. United Church, Brockville, to Rev. Beckstead, Lansdowne, regarding registered ownership of the Presbyterian church there. 1925.
- Photocopy of the order of worship at Church of the Covenant, 1993, with front and back covers copied from the Anniversay service for 1909, including the history of Chalmers Church as in item M-008 above. Includes CV for Christopher Coyea, guest soloist.
- Photocopy of hand-traced map showing locations of Sand Bay, Fairfax and Lansdowne Presbyterian churches.
- Financial statements for Chalmer Church in Lansdowne for 1904, 1905,1906, 1907, 1910, 1911, and 1912.
-- bulletin from the 39th anniversary service of Chalmers Church, Oct 12, 1913.
-- letter of farewell to Miss Lettie Goodall from the Sunday School and choir of Chalmers Church, 1913.
-- farewell letter to John Baile and family from the congregation of Chalmers Church 1914.
-- manuscript minutes of a meeting in oposition to Union of the churches, 1923
-- Statement of cost of Manse property for congregations of Lansdowne, Fairfax and Sand Bay, 1905.
-- financial appeal to build a new church 1927. -- financial appeal for funds to pay the mortgage (2 copies)
– typescript by JDW Darling of early Christian ministers and churches in Lansdowne including C J Stewart, John Carroll, and William Smart.
-- quantity of treasurer's chits for monies toward the minister's stipend and guest ministers, 1883-85.
-- large quantity of invoices from local merchants and trades for work on the Presbyterian manse, 1903-05
-- Quantity of invoices and chits from local merchants and trades for work towards the United Church in Lansdowne 1926-28
-- small note book with records of donations to the Presbyterian Manse building fund, 1903.
-- Invoice from Colin Drever architect for services in connection with the United Church Lansdowne, 1928.
-- Invoice from solicitor for Rev. Beckstead, billed to Lansdowne United Church, 1928
2012-036-24 Items from Union Church
Order of service from Union Cemetery Memorial service June 28, 1935. -- Order of Service for 100th anniversary of Union United Church, 1971 (2 copies)
2012-036-25 Items from St Patrick's and St Brendan's Catholic Churches
-Combined schedule of services for St. Patrick's and St. brendan's for week of June 12, 1994.
-- Booklet celebrating 100 years at St. Brendan's Church, Rockport, 1991.
-- Photocopy of manuscript notes listing burials at Rockport Catholic Cemetery by Mary Robertson
2012-036-26 Darling & Haig family Photos
12 reproductions of old photos with inscriptions as follows: George Brown's House Lot 18 Con. 1 Leeds (2 views) – George Ernest Darling – group of 4 including Gordon Richardson (1863-1934), Sam Johnston (with hat), Maggie Latimer, Elizabeth Elliot – Robert Latimer and Mary Johnston – Mrs Bryce (cousin of Darlings) – 2 inscribed John McDougall Darling – 5 women in hats Jean Darling (married Waldie & Walker) Janet (Haig) Darling, Marguerite Ann (Haig) Stark, Ann Haig, one unidentified – Marguerite Ann Haig married Alexander Stark, Aunt Jean (Haig?); Janet (Haig) Darling; Isabella Brown married John McDougall Darling. -- modern photo of a stone house inscribed "The original Haig Homestead (Thomas and Margaret (Wood)" -- 3 modern photos from 1993 taken of Darlingside house and boathouse and junk inside the store.
2012-036-27 Warburton cheesemaker contracts.
2 Manuscript agreements between trustees of Warburton Cheese Factory and cheesemaker George Bryan of Long Point for 1896 and 1897 seasons. -- manuscript inspectors report of Warburton Cheese factory August 1904. -- Manuscript agreement between trustees of Warburton Cheese factory and Walter Fenlong, cheesemaker from Athens, for the 1914 season. -- brown envelope that contained these contracts, addressed to Alex Steacy from Ontarion Cheese Patrons Association, Belleville.
2012-036-28 E. E. Johnston/Richardson deeds & mortgages
Indenture of Bargain & Sale Thomas Cliffe to George Richardson, L24, C4, Leeds, 1865. -- George Latimer to E. E. Johnston, L23, C1 Lansdowne,1901. -- John Landon to Wm. Henry Leacock, L20, C1, Lansdowne, 1900. -- Eliza Ann Leacock to Rachael Keating L20, C1, Lansdowne,1902. -- Rachael Keating to E. E. Johnston, L20, C1, Lansdowne,1906. -- Hugh McCrone to George Richardson, L1 C1 Lansdowne, 1870. -- Thomas Richardson to George Richardson LA, C1, Lansdowne, 1877.-- mortgage E. E. Johnston to Elizabeth Keating, LA, C1 Lansdowne 1896. -- mortgage E. E. Johnston to Geo. Bissell, LA, C1, Lansdowne, 1903. -- agreement of sale E. E. Johnston to Wallace Hugh Gray, LA, C1 Lansdowne, 1907. -- Certificate of Title for lands in Alberta, Mabel M. Johnston 1912. – Agreement of sale of land from Herbert Sheffield Merrill to E. E. Johnson, 1903. – statutory declaration of B. W. Leverette regarding village lot #7, 1907. – mortgage from E. E. Johnson to John Shields, 1903. – Deed from E. E. Johnson to B. W. Leverette for village Lot #7, 1903. – mortgage from Janet Darling to Arta, Hattie & Leona Ivey, 1900. – assignment of mortgage from John Shields & Wm. Burns, executors of late Thomas Burns, to Janet Darling, 1899.
2012-036-29 Lansdowne & Local Notes & Anecdotes:
Manuscript account of the life of Oliver Landon (1756 - 1820). -- Typescript "Early History of the District" by Gerald Foley, 1935. -- Account of the life of John H Lloyd 1784-1889, 4 page manuscript copied from Gananoque Reporter 1949. -- Booklet on History of Lansdowne composed by Grade 8 students at Lansdowne District Public School 1972-3 – anonymous 7 page typescript of early history of north shore of St. Lawrence. – naming of Leeds County – typescript “The First Settlers to Lansdowne” includes Oliver landon, William LaRue, Charles Griffin, Enoch & Jeremiah Mallory. – The first Municipal Organization 1849 Lansdowne. – Sawmills – “Historical Facts of Lansdowne” by Billy Boulton. – “Outlet” talks of Wm Vanderburg and Sam Horton. – Early History of Lansdowne Front by W H Wallace. – “Lovell's Directory 1871” list of businesses in the village. – “Villages of Leeds County” describes Lansdowne, Ivy Lea, Willstead, Rockport, Mallorytown, Lyn, Athens, Charleston, Delta, Lyndhurst, Morton & Elgin
2012-036-30 Gananoque incidentals
Printed folder of words and music to “The Song of Gananoque” by Richard Duff (Mr Chatterbox), with advertising. -- Gananoque Historical Society newsletter #9 Sept 1988, with a history of the society.
2012-036-31 Seeley's Bay incidentals
Cristmas Card from Seeley's Bay School with engraving of the 1931 Continuation School. -- reprint photo of the Rideau Queen at the wharf in Seeley's Bay (as in Lockwood Plate 168). -- booklet "The Centennial History of Olivet United Church" 1977 (2 copies). -- Typescript “Tour of the Rideaus” with description of Seeley's Bay
2012-036-32 St. Lawrence and 1000 Islands Notes & Anecdotes
Large file of typescript articles with following titles: The Thousand Islands Park and Ozone; The Tousand Islands 1535-1860; Chimney Island; History 3000 BC to 1903 AD; Cruising the 1000 Islands; Early Sporting Events; The St. Lawrence Story from Paddle to Jet Propulsion by Minnie Mitchell; The Discovery of the St. Lawrence; The History of the Thousand Islands; Americans “Discover” the Thousand Islands; Smugglers Cove; History 1903-1964 Power and Ships by Carleton Mabee; Indian Legend of the St Lawrence by W H Wallace; Manitonna Revisits Birthplace; Dark Island Castle by Harry Kilfoil; The 1000 Islands of the St Lawrence from Gananoque; – Typescripts and photocopies of typescript stories including: “Heart Island- Its Castle & Towers”, -- Boldt Castle, -- Heart Island, -- Lake of the 1000 Islands, -- Stave Island, – Calumet Castle, Fiddler's Elbow, Alexandria Bay 1804-1867, the islands divided between USA & Canada, Traces of Indian Records on the St lawrence, recovery of loot by divers by Ina Scott, A Saint named Lawrence by Thurlow Cannon, The Mystery of Maple Island (John Wilkes-Booth), The Royal Exile (brother of Napoleon Bonaparte), Career of Captain Kendal, Vacation Paradise, Name Change from Punt Island to Ghost Island, Early boat tours run by mail men,Thousand Islands Dressing, Mysterious Pot Holes in the rocks, 1000 Islands Vacation Land by Duncan MacPherson, Capt W L Snider, Rock paintings Pictographs, Front Concessions of Lansdowne and the 1000 Islands Group by Thomas Darling, History of LaRue's island, 6000 Acres of 1000 Islands Park, Half Moon Bay, Bootlegging Trap Springs on Big Jim, Delightful Cruise Through a Wonder Water Land, Pitch cove, 1000 Islands- Garden of the Great Spirit, Chimney Island, “Captain's Table..family style”, by Wallace Ward – Sugar making in Leeds by W S Halladay
2012-036-33 Escott & Local Notes & Anecdotes
History of Escott by Jane Player. – History of Junetown by Gary Lambo. – History of Junetown by Merton Livingston. – History of Junetown by Cathy Stevenson. – History of Rockfield by Martin Hein. –
2012-036-34 Rockport & Local Notes & Anecdotes
History of Rockport by Ricky Huck. – History of Rockport by Margaret Bolger. – History of Holland School SS # 16. – History of Poole's Resort by Harry Fabius. – “To the Little Red School House” (Rockport) typescript from MacLeans Magazine 1963. – story “A Fish to Make a Man of a Boy” (Rockport) by John Keats;
2012-036-35 Gananoque & Local Notes & Anecdotes
typescript notes from 1901 Souvenir Book of the Thousand Islands by Freeman Brotton. – “Alma Villa” home of Freeman Britton. – Gananoque to Clayton Ferries. – Gananoque Industries. – Colonel Stone's Activities. – History of Gananoque's King Street Bridges. – Capt D J Kenney. – Gananoque Town hall. – Short History of Gananoque from Syracuse Post Standard. – “A Funny Thing Happened in Gananoque” about the Gananoque Summer Theater Playhouse. – excerpt from Lovell's Directory 1871 listing industries in Gananoque. – “History of Gananoque” by Franklyn Wright from Gananoque Reporter.
2012-036-36 Cheese factories, cheese production
Manuscript 1904 annual statement from Gold medal Cheese factory to George Sly. – biweekly milk statements from Kingston Creameries for Jan – Feb – March 1937 to Sinclair Bryan. – Reciept from the Ontario Registrar for $10 for letters patent forming the Coldbrook Cheese Company Ltd. 1922 – photocopies of land transactions from Registry Books for Tilley Cheese Factory, 1896 and 1904, and for Selton Factory, 1919. – 2 monthly milk statements from Wilstead Cheese factory to Sinclair Bryan – manuscript notes on the history of cheese making in Front of Leeds & Lansdowne, and photcopies of sources. – typed transcript of an interview with Ralph Smith about cheese factories in 1994. – copies from Fairgrove Women's Institute Tweedsmuir book regarding cheese factories, includes notes on Taylor, Cheeseborough, Marble Rock, South Lake and Wilstead, with photos of Marble Rock and South Lake – 4 recent photos of an elderly man and woman unidentified, probably sources for information on cheese factories. – photocopy of manuscript history of Tilley and its cheese factory, anonymous undated. -- 2012 spiral bound callendar of photos of cheese factories in LTI. -- duplicate of previous item.
2012-036-37 St. John's Anglican Church, Lansdowne
8x10 photo of St. John's Church, Lansdowne, with choir and parishoners, on 50th Anniversary of the church, 9 June 1928. – b&w photo of a bishop and a minister, unidentified. – 2 interior photos, 1 with 12 church members, on the 100th annivarsary of the church, June 1978, – photo of 5 men inscribed “Rev Allen Hood, Rev Dowell, Bishop Hill, Rev. Hutchings, David Saunders”. – booklet “St. John's Church Lansdowne 1877 – 2007” by Anne Hunt. – Bulletin for service of rededication of memorials at Church of the Redeemer, Rockport, June 7, 2009
File includes, from the same source, 11 unidentified CDVs from Gananoque, Brockville, Belleville, & Harriston including 4 tintypes, – a postcard of Idyl Wyld cottage of Mrs. Bain Shields. – tiny photo of Devil's Oven, Alexandria Bay NY. – 1922 Christmas Card to Mr & Mrs W H O Foley, RR#1 Mallorytown. – booklet “ABC's of the Seaway” by St. Lawrence Seaway Authority, 1988.
2012-036-38 Arial photos of Lansdowne
3 arial photos 8x10”of Lansdowne village from different directions, undated, supplied by Ontario Archives, reference no S6389, S6390 & S6391. – 2 similar arial photos of unidentified town from Ontario Archives, reference numbers S6392 and S6393. – part of the envelope from Archives of Ontario to Gloria Crawford with a note to Shirley? -- an arial photo of an unidentified village, inscribed "copyright L Prosser"
2012-036-39 Lansdowne maps from Ontario Archives
Four 14” Glossy photographs of maps from the Archives of Ontario, with names of land owners written in. -- Includes map A23 showing all of Lansdowne Twp. based on H McDonnell's map of 1788 (Ref: AO 1647) – Map A12 of Lansdowne and Escott based on R. Sherwood's map of 1811. (Ref: AO 1646) – Map A25 showing Lansdowne Cons 1 to 9 based on W. Chewett's survey of 1795. (Ref: AO 1648) – Map A24 showing Lansdowne Cons 1 to 5 based on H. McDonnell's map of 1788 (Ref: AO 1649). – also 11” glossy map of Lansdowne showing the Clergy reserve lots, dated 1843 and signed Thomas Parker, Surveyor General, (Ref: AO 1481) with a photocopy of the same. –
2012-036-40 Thomas Haig letters home from WW1
File consists of – 80 pages of manuscript letters from Thomas Haig to family members back home during WW1, 1915 to 1917 – 7 pages of official correspondence from military sources
2012-036-41 Thomas Haig photos & Training Manuals
Photo in folder of young sailor with hat marked “R.C.N.V.R. Kingston”. – 2 copies 1943 American War Ration Book No. 3 belonging to Mildred Wallace and Louise Wallace, Short Hills, N.Y. – Eastern Ontario Regiment Christmas card with cartoon, from “Clarence” in France, 1918. – Ticket from Glasgow YMCA Soldiers and Sailors Hostels, – Constitution booklet for The Great War Veterans' Association of Canada 1918. – Receipt for initiation fees and dues dated 1919 to T D Haig from Gananoque Branch GWVA. – photo on card labelled “42nd Battery (Battalion?) Militia Barriefield Camp, Kingston, June 22-July 3, 1897. – Photo on card inscribed “this is a photo of a few boys out of our Unit sent one to Aunt Margaret” and labelled “Probably taken at West Sandling Kent England 1915-16 / Thomas D Haig could be 3rd from the left – back row.” – photo on card large military group inscribed “56th Reg. Camp of Instruction Niagara 1908” – photo on card of group of military officers, unidentified. – 3 post cards of a soldier in WW1 uniform, one inscribed “Thomas Darling Haig” – Post card photo of T D Haig “in hospital suit down at the pier Folkstone” – postcard of Folkstone Hospital. – CDV WW1 Military officer in Uniform with sword, believed to be one of the group of officers listed above. – printer copper plate etching of photo of the officer listed previous. – CDV in folder of T D Haig in uniform, probably after the war. – photo of T D Haig and another soldier in military great coats. – Photo on card of young T D Haig, in uniform, riding boots and crop, seated. – young T D Haig in dress uniform.-- Book “Quarterly Militia List of the Dominion of Canada corrected to Jan 1, 1907”. – small leather bound book “Infantry Drill 1896” containing leaflet of orders for the 42nd Battalion for 1891. – small book “Infantry Training Canada 1904” signed Capt. George? Darling.
2012-036-42 Watercolour paintings
6 unidentified original watercolour paintings on craft paper showing considerable accomplishment, including some landscapes typical of local lakes or the St Lawrence River, some with European flavour, including one with a signature suggesting “E F Deans” or similar name. Water damaged.
2012-036-43 Various bulky items/artifacts;
audio cassette tape labelled “Opening of Lansdowne District Public School Feb 22, 1963.” – walnut plaque with engraved plate inscribed “Royal Canadian Legion / Golden Anniversary Award / C. RUTTLE / World War Veteran / 1914-1918 / Presented by / Zone G-2, 1st Nov. 1975”
2012-036-44 Record of Old Collection Numbering System.
18 page Computerized list of items (possibly photos) in the Historical Society collection with catalogue numbers attached. -- 16 page hand written list of cataloque numbers, believed to be for photos in the Hist. Soc. collection. -- 1 page list of slides in the collection, with an explanation of the numbering system. -- 38 page handwritten and numbered list of books and files in the Darlingside collection. -- 13-page computer printout of items in the Darlingside collection as contained in numbered boxes at one point.
Box E0070 contains operating records/reciepts/events/etc for the LTI Historical Society betweem 2007 and 2012.