Title and statement of responsibility area
Elizabeth Roddick Lane papers
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
13 cm textual and graphic material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Originals documentswere removed from the attic of the Roddick stone house in Lyndhurst in the 1970s when Dr. Roddick sold the property. It was treasured by Elizabeth Roddick Lane until she brought it to the archives following the completion of her book in 2017.
Scope and content
Elizabeth Roddick-Lane papers 2017-013
Book “Two Roddick Families from Scotland to Ontario” by Elizabeth Roddick Lane, 2017, contains her extensive research on the Roddicks in Ontario including the mill owners at Lyndhurst. Includes a separate index of given names and married/maiden names with page references. Located in General Research Family Trees
Hand drawn and coloured map of Lyndhurst enumerating properties owned by John Roddick, undated, Donor estimates 1876 (encapsulated) in Map Cabinet 1, Drwr # 4.
Complete copy of the Athens Reporter of 18 May 1967 which includes extensive coverage of the ceremony commemorating the founding of Lyndhurst and unveiling of an historic plaque (Encapsulated in Map Cab 1, Drwr #
File 2017-013-02 original John Roddick business documents 1860-1899
Bond of agreement between John Roddick and Wm Saunders in the lease of Lyndhurst Mills from the Jones Estate, 1860.witnessed by former partner Walter Denaut – Partnership agreement between John Roddick and Henry Green, 1870, retroactive to 1868. – correspondence between Roddick and Green about settlement of accounts. – agreement to disolve partnership between Roddick & Green, 1871. – numerous appraisals over many years for the mills and property to support applications for mortgages and demands from Robert Roddick in Port Hope for money owed. – Lease of the mills from Robert Roddick to John Roddick 1887. –
File 2017-013-03 original John & George Roddick business documents 1900-1921
More appraisals and correspondence between Robert Roddick in Port Hope and John in Lyndhurst including lawyers letters. – Correspondence shifts from John to George Roddick his son. – manuscript letter from George Roddick to RoLL Reeve and Council requesting permission to run hydro poles and wires on township road allowances, 1910. – 63 canceled cheques and promissory notes from 1921, on forms from the Bank of Toronto Lyndhurst Branch, signed by George Roddick, several with postage stamps or War Tax stamps attached in amounts required by the Special War Revenue Act of 1915. –
File 2017-013-04 Original Documents relating to Lyndhurst Bridge.
Manuscript specification and timber cutting list for a stone and wood bridge to be built at Lyndhurst, dated Nov. 1855, drawn by John Roddick for Wm. Saunders. – John Roddick's leather bound note book with records in the back pages from Sept. and Oct. 1856, of monies received from Rear of Leeds & Lansdowne Township and dispersed to Miles Fulford and his labourers on construction of the 1856 bridge in Lyndhurst. Contains note of an incident on Sept 12, 1856, when bridge construction stopped the water to the mills, also lists monetary transactions with Robert Roddick and James Roddick from 1880s and '90s. – manuscript copy of an invoice from Simon Ransom to RoLL Township Council for work on Lyndhurst Bridge, July 1857. – photograph of Lyndhurst Bridge inscribed “taken by J. E. Roddick 1956”. – 2 decal-edged folders bearing prints of sketches of Lyndhurst Bridge by Joan Roddick. – coloured enlargement of Lyndhurst Bridge taken by J E Roddick about 1960. – B&W enlargements of 2 views of the bridge taken by John Buick Harvey about 1907.
File 2017-013-05 Roddick family domestic papers
Index of names contained in the book “Two Roddick Families from Scotland to Ontario”. – Chart of terminology for family relationships through generations. (cousins "once remove, or twice removed" etc.) – Bound folder containing list of documents and artifacts in possession of Elizabeth Lane, (not all donated to archives). – photo of an arm brace worn by John Roddick, and the invoice for $16 from Canada Truss Factory, 1882 -- Manuscript satirical poem about John Roddick and Henry Green, addressed to the Reeve and Council of RoLL, dated Seeley's Bay 1884, anonymous.– manuscript satirical poem “The Lyndhurst Boor” about Henry Green, anonymous. – Manuscript cures for ailments prescribed for Mrs. Roddick, including one from John Lewis, dispensing chemist, Montreal, 1886. – deed of plot in St. Luke's Church Burying Ground to Mrs Ethel Roddick 1924. – Canada 25 cent shin plaster 1900. – American postage currency 5 cent note. – death notices for Mary Roddick Code, J Chris Roddick, and Aaron M Roddick. – price list for school furniture from W Stahlschmidt, Preston Ont, with correspondence from Smart & Shepherd in Brockville comparing prices. – Prize List of 20 pages plus covers, for the Lyndhurst Fair of Sept 19 & 20, 1907. Contains advertising from local merchants and prize donors. – 2 photocopies of newspaper articles about trophy Lake Trout caught in Devil Lake and Buck Lake 1930-31. – Original copy of Centennial book “Lyndhurst 1794-1967 by Anna E Harvey, signed by the author.
File 2017-013-06 Clipping about Lyndhurst Bridge history & debate of restoration
Large Collection of clipping and photocopies about the Lyndhurst Bridge controversy in 1984-85, with some material from earlier history
File 2017-013-07 Research findings by Elizabeth Roddick Lane.
Photocopies of findings of the research for her book “Two Roddick Families from Scotland to Ontario”; includes – newspaper articles, documents from National Archives of Canada, and many other sources. – account of the death of John Roddick from Lyndhurst who was hit by a train at Cataraqui in 1873, – details of William Roddick family of Brantford, and Robert Roddick family of Coburgh, – an article about the “Roddick Clock” brought from Scotland, – letter of appreciation from Elizabeth Stevens Stuart to Agnes Roddick for accommodations in late 1920s, – “Historical Sketch of the Township of Hamilton” by Walter Riddell, 1897, – transcripts of interviews with Helen Wilson, 1982, and Elizabeth Stevens Stuart, 2001 – reprint of a 1903 photo of the light house on Gull Island near Coburgh, from NAC, with receipt and conditions of use.
Files 2017-013-08, 2017-013-09, 2017-013-10, 2017-013-11 Photocopies of all the original documents in Files 02 to 05, in order as arranged by the donor.