Showing 16 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Township of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne

  • Corporate body
  • 1796 -

INCOMPLETE
The original survey of 1796 resulted in the administrative organization of this area, originally comprised of the northern-most parts of the Townships of Leeds and Lansdownwe within the District of Johnstown. The Township of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne was incorporated effective January 1 1850 under the terms of the Municipal Corporations Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849 (popularly known as the Baldwin Act).

Township of the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne (Creator)

  • FOLL
  • Corporate body
  • 1788 - present

The original survey of 1788 resulted in the establishment of the Townships of Leeds and Lansdowne. These were reorganized as of January 1, 1850 under the terms of the Municipal Corporations Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849 (Baldwin Act) into the Townships of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne.
The Township of the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne was amalgamated into the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands, in Leeds and Grenville County (along with the Townships of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and Escott) on January 1, 2001.

Township of the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne

  • Corporate body
  • 1788

Originally surveyed in 1788. The township was established as two separate townships, Leeds and Lansdowne which were reorganized into the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne effective January 1, 1850 as a result of the Municipal Corporations Act (Baldwin Act), Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849. In 2001 this township was amalgamated along with the Townships of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and the Township of Escott into the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands.

Township of Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne

  • TO BE COMPLETED
  • Corporate body
  • 1796-

The original survey of 1796 resulted in the establishment of the Townships of Leeds and Lansdowne. These were reorganized as of January 1, 1850 under the terms of the Municipal Corporations Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849 (Baldwin Act) into the Townships of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne.
The Township of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne was amalgamated into the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands, in Leeds and Grenville County (along with the Townships of the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne and Escott) on January 1, 2001.

Township of Escott

  • FOE
  • Corporate body
  • [18-?]-2000

INCOMPLETE.
Originally the Township of Yonge and Escott, it was divided into the Front of Yonge and Escott and the Rear of Yonge and Escott in 1853.
It was divided again in 1859 into the Front of Yonge and the Front of Escott.

The Township of the Front of Yonge and Escott (reference to 1889-1890, 1892-1905 in tax rolls)
was incorporated in [DATE]. It encompassed the area of

It was later divided into the Township of Front of Yonge and the Township of Front of Escott.

The Township of the Front of Escott was amalgamated into the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands, in Leeds County (along with the Townships of Front of Leeds and Lansdowne and Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne) on January 1, 2001.

also referred to as the Gore of Escott

The Review Mirror

  • Corporate body
  • January 12, 1996 -

The Mirror (formerly the Westport Mirror) was first published in 1893. It was a subscription-based weekly newspaper service serving Westport, Ontario and the surrounding area.
The Review was first published in 1991. It was a free weekly newspaper service serving Rural Leeds.
<p>The two newspapers announced their merger on November 29, 1995 (The Mirror) and December 1, 1995 (The Review) and the first issue of The Review Mirror was published on January 12, 1996. The new weekly paper is subscription based and serves Westport, Ontario, the Rideau Lakes and the Rideau Valley.</p>

The Review

  • Corporate body
  • 1991-1995

Originally known as The Rideau Review, The Review was first published in 1991. It was a free weekly newspaper service serving Westport, Ontario and the surrounding area. It merged with the Mirror in 1995 to become The Review Mirror.

The Mirror

  • Corporate body
  • 1893-1995

The Mirror (formerly the Westport Mirror) was first published in 1893. It was a subscription-based weekly newspaper service serving Westport, Ontario and the surrounding area. It merged with the Review in 1995 to become The Review Mirror.

Sweet's Corners School

  • Corporate body
  • 1826-

The first school at Sweet's Corners was possibly built about 1826. A newer school was built a short distance from this building sometime prior to 1961. After 1912, it was one of the locations for the district Rural School Fairs held annually in September.
The current Sweet's Corners Elementary School officially opened on October 6, 1973.

Rockport Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1920-1977

The Rockport Women’s Institute was established in 1920 and the first meeting was held on June 1. Mrs. D. Reid was President, Mrs. Seaman Secretary Treasurer, Mrs. Fred Huck, 1st Vice President, Mrs. Louise Cornwall, 2nd Vice President. The Branch was part of the Leeds District, alternatively listed as Leeds East or Brockville District.

The final meeting was held on April 6, 1977, and the Branch subsequently disbanded.

Results 1 to 10 of 16