Showing 660 results

Authority record

Township of Escott

  • FOE
  • Corporate body
  • [18-?]-2000

INCOMPLETE.
Originally the Township of Yonge and Escott, it was divided into the Front of Yonge and Escott and the Rear of Yonge and Escott in 1853.
It was divided again in 1859 into the Front of Yonge and the Front of Escott.

The Township of the Front of Yonge and Escott (reference to 1889-1890, 1892-1905 in tax rolls)
was incorporated in [DATE]. It encompassed the area of

It was later divided into the Township of Front of Yonge and the Township of Front of Escott.

The Township of the Front of Escott was amalgamated into the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands, in Leeds County (along with the Townships of Front of Leeds and Lansdowne and Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne) on January 1, 2001.

also referred to as the Gore of Escott

Township of the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne (Creator)

  • FOLL
  • Corporate body
  • 1788 - present

The original survey of 1788 resulted in the establishment of the Townships of Leeds and Lansdowne. These were reorganized as of January 1, 1850 under the terms of the Municipal Corporations Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849 (Baldwin Act) into the Townships of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne.
The Township of the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne was amalgamated into the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands, in Leeds and Grenville County (along with the Townships of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and Escott) on January 1, 2001.

Township of Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne

  • TO BE COMPLETED
  • Corporate body
  • 1796-

The original survey of 1796 resulted in the establishment of the Townships of Leeds and Lansdowne. These were reorganized as of January 1, 1850 under the terms of the Municipal Corporations Act, Chapter 81, Canada Statutes, 1849 (Baldwin Act) into the Townships of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne and the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne.
The Township of the Rear of Leeds and Lansdowne was amalgamated into the Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands, in Leeds and Grenville County (along with the Townships of the Front of Leeds and Lansdowne and Escott) on January 1, 2001.

The Review

  • Corporate body
  • 1991-1995

Originally known as The Rideau Review, The Review was first published in 1991. It was a free weekly newspaper service serving Westport, Ontario and the surrounding area. It merged with the Mirror in 1995 to become The Review Mirror.

Independent Order of Foresters - Court Lyndhurst

  • Corporate body
  • 1891-?

The Ancient Order of Foresters originated in 1745 in Knarsborough, England. In 1864, the first Court in America, No. 4421, was established in Brooklyn, New York. By 1874, there were 64 Courts of the Ancient Order of Foresters in America. The members, desiring independence from the English organization, founded the Independent Order of Foresters at a National Convention on June 16, 1874. The Independent Order of Foresters established themselves in Canada on April 26, 1876 in London, Ontario, with the incorporation of Court Hope No. 1. The purpose of this organization was to act as a health and life insurance company for its members. The objectives of the Independent Order of Foresters were to unite fraternally all persons of sound body and mental health and good moral character, under the age of 55; to give moral and material aid to its members and their dependents; to educate the members socially, morally, and intellectually; to establish a fund for the relief of sick and distressed members; to create a benefit fund for death benefits for widows and dependents of members; and to secure for its members free medical attendance, a sick benefit, a funeral benefit, a pension plan for members over the age of 70, and disability benefits [<a href="http://www2.trentu.ca/library/archives/74-019.htm">Independent Order of Foresters, Court no. 15, fonds., Trent University</a>]. The organization still exists today, and operates under the brand <a href="http://www.foresters.com/about/story.asp">Foresters</a>.
<br>The Charter for Court Lyndhurst, No. 795, located in Lyndhurst, Ontario was issued by the Supreme Court of the Independent Order of Foresters on May 1, 1891. The first Staff of Officers were:
Revd W. Moore,
W. Webster,
R.N. Singleton,
R.N. Percival,
W.N. Metcalfe,
J.E. Roddick,
Z. M. Sliter,
J. Young,
J. H. Roddick,
J. Roantree,
C.H. Burritt, M.D.,
C.T. Sheffield, &
F. Wiltse.

Results 1 to 10 of 660