Showing 16 results

Authority record
Corporate body

1000 Islands Social Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1974-2003

The inaugural meeting of the 1000 Islands Social Club was held on February 11, 1974. At the second meeting, Feb. 25, 1974, it was decided that the name of the organization would be the 1000 Islands Social Club. Chief Officers elected at the February 11, 1974 meeting were:
President: Harold DeWolfe, and
Treasurer: Bill McCloy.
Elected at the February 25, 1974 meeting were:
1st Vice President: Joan Boucaud,
Secretary: Hazel DeWolfe,
Treasurer: Mable Elliott,
Membership: Rachel DeWolfe,
Publicity/Social: Edith Williams, and
Public Relations: Ed Andress assisted by Marg Marton.

Other members at large or later officers included:
Agnes Kahnt
Dot Westall
Ethel E. Johnston
Lillian Massey
Marilyn Haskins
Joyce Turner
Jean Massey

The mandate of the Club was to provide the opportunity for all club members to meet with their contemporaries for friendship, companionship, and an exchange of ideas on matters of interest to senior citizens; to further the interests and promote the health and welfare of senior citizens of Rockport and the surrounding area; to study and consider ways and means by which club members can best serve the community; and, to unite and be able to speak with one voice to governmental bodies at all levels for betterment of all senior citizens through the United Senior Citizens of Ontario. The Club was registered with the United Senior Citizens of Ontario as Club 1219. They received a New Horizons Grant from the Health and Welfare Canada, Social Services Programs Branch (Government of Canada) in 1974 to renovate the Rockport Recreation Hall as a community and meeting space.
They did a number of organized trips as a group and held various social events. They hosted the Lansdowne Seniors Club on occasion. An organized trip occurred in 2003 and there is no further evidence of club activities after this point.

Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario

  • Corporate body
  • 1897-

The first Womens’ Institute was established in 1897, as a result of the activities of Adelaide Hunter Hoodless and Erland and Janet Lee. By 1907 there were 400 Branches. Its objectives were to improve skills in the arts of homemaking and child care. Many social causes and projects have been undertaken. Local Branches are grouped into Districts.

In Ontario, the Ministry of Agriculture published handbooks to assist the establishment and management of the Women’s Institutes. In 1919 the Federated Women’s Institute of Ontario was organized.

Local histories called Tweedsmuir Books were undertaken at the suggestion of Lady Tweedsmuir, wife of the then Governor General.

Independent Order of Foresters - Court Lyndhurst

  • Corporate body
  • 1891-?

The Ancient Order of Foresters originated in 1745 in Knarsborough, England. In 1864, the first Court in America, No. 4421, was established in Brooklyn, New York. By 1874, there were 64 Courts of the Ancient Order of Foresters in America. The members, desiring independence from the English organization, founded the Independent Order of Foresters at a National Convention on June 16, 1874. The Independent Order of Foresters established themselves in Canada on April 26, 1876 in London, Ontario, with the incorporation of Court Hope No. 1. The purpose of this organization was to act as a health and life insurance company for its members. The objectives of the Independent Order of Foresters were to unite fraternally all persons of sound body and mental health and good moral character, under the age of 55; to give moral and material aid to its members and their dependents; to educate the members socially, morally, and intellectually; to establish a fund for the relief of sick and distressed members; to create a benefit fund for death benefits for widows and dependents of members; and to secure for its members free medical attendance, a sick benefit, a funeral benefit, a pension plan for members over the age of 70, and disability benefits [<a href="http://www2.trentu.ca/library/archives/74-019.htm">Independent Order of Foresters, Court no. 15, fonds., Trent University</a>]. The organization still exists today, and operates under the brand <a href="http://www.foresters.com/about/story.asp">Foresters</a>.
<br>The Charter for Court Lyndhurst, No. 795, located in Lyndhurst, Ontario was issued by the Supreme Court of the Independent Order of Foresters on May 1, 1891. The first Staff of Officers were:
Revd W. Moore,
W. Webster,
R.N. Singleton,
R.N. Percival,
W.N. Metcalfe,
J.E. Roddick,
Z. M. Sliter,
J. Young,
J. H. Roddick,
J. Roantree,
C.H. Burritt, M.D.,
C.T. Sheffield, &
F. Wiltse.

Lansdowne Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1909-

The Lansdowne Women’s Institute was established in 1909 and the first meeting was held on June 18 at the Lansdowne Town Hall. The first President was Mrs. John Darling. The Branch was part of the Leeds District, alternatively listed as Leeds East or Brockville District.

The Branch is still active.

Loyal Orange Lodge #51

  • Corporate body
  • 1856-1950

The Warrant for Loyal Orange Lodge #51 was issued on June 18, 1856, to Michael Cliff at or near McCrones Corners (later Wilstead). #51 appears to have been an Abstinence Lodge. The Lodge moved to South Lake in April of 1857, and amalgamated with #650, one of the two South Lake Lodges. By 1879 or 1880 Lodge #51 appears to have moved down the road to Gananoque Station. There were a number of changes in membership due to the move. In January of 1884 the Lodge moved to Gananoque.

L.O.L. #194, Derry Lodge, began sometime between 1845 and 1874 and appears to have been absorbed by Lodge #511 by about 1880. It was located in Gananoque.

L.O.L. #511 was Warranted on September 17, 1855. By 1889 this lodge appears to have been absorbed by #51.

L.O.L. #51 amalgamated with #26 in 1950.

L.O.L. #26, located in Lansdowne Village, was Warranted on July 11, 1845. The Fraternity was active in Lansdowne until 1982 when it amalgamated with L.O.L. #1 in Brockville.

Quartz Crystals Mines Ltd.

  • Corporate body
  • 1951-1954

The quartz mine was located on lot eight in the ninth concession of Lansdowne (near Black Rapids on Red Horse Lake).
The first mine was dug by Arza Sherman in 1897, who mined quartz and attempted to sell it in the United States. The mine was essentially a hole in the ground with wooden ladders to descend. Sherman sold the property to John Moorehead in 1901.

In 1938, Loris McElroy picked up samples from the site, showed them to a chance acquaintance named George Moroughan, who in turn showed them to Jack Steele, the owner of a mica mine near Sydenham.
In July 1942, the three men signed an agreement to create the Red Horse Lake Mining Syndicate, dividing profits from the mine equally. They also mined quartz, because of its utility in technologies such as radio frequency control and bomb sights (and worth a reported $3000 per ton due to the war effort).

In 1943, the Red Horse Lake Mining Syndicate gave way to the Rare Minerals Prospecting Syndicate which conducted considerable exploration, before giving way in turn to Quartz-Crystals Mining Corporation of Canada Limited. Both the syndicates and the Mining Corporation sold quartz to the Canadian government. The Mining Corporation operated the mine until it went bankrupt in 1950.

In 1951, a new company funded by the federal government, Quartz Crystals Mines Limited, mined the quartz crystals, employing six to seven men until the government announced in 1954 that stockpiles were sufficient and closed the mine.

Rockport Women's Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1920-1977

The Rockport Women’s Institute was established in 1920 and the first meeting was held on June 1. Mrs. D. Reid was President, Mrs. Seaman Secretary Treasurer, Mrs. Fred Huck, 1st Vice President, Mrs. Louise Cornwall, 2nd Vice President. The Branch was part of the Leeds District, alternatively listed as Leeds East or Brockville District.

The final meeting was held on April 6, 1977, and the Branch subsequently disbanded.

Sweet's Corners School

  • Corporate body
  • 1826-

The first school at Sweet's Corners was possibly built about 1826. A newer school was built a short distance from this building sometime prior to 1961. After 1912, it was one of the locations for the district Rural School Fairs held annually in September.
The current Sweet's Corners Elementary School officially opened on October 6, 1973.

The Mirror

  • Corporate body
  • 1893-1995

The Mirror (formerly the Westport Mirror) was first published in 1893. It was a subscription-based weekly newspaper service serving Westport, Ontario and the surrounding area. It merged with the Review in 1995 to become The Review Mirror.

The Review

  • Corporate body
  • 1991-1995

Originally known as The Rideau Review, The Review was first published in 1991. It was a free weekly newspaper service serving Westport, Ontario and the surrounding area. It merged with the Mirror in 1995 to become The Review Mirror.

Results 1 to 10 of 16